Once the gifts have all been unwrapped, the toys are assembled and your guests have left, it’s time for holiday clean up. Packing away the holidays doesn’t have to be stressful with these simple tips.
- Label, Label, Label. How frustrating is it each December when you pull out those boxes from last year and have no idea what’s inside? As you put away the lights, garland, stockings, and dishes, simply take a permanent marker and write on the outer side of each box what’s inside and the year. Make sure you label on the side that will be visible when you stack your boxes on top of each other. You can also purchase clear storage tubs to make it easy to see what’s inside throughout the year.
- Hang it Up. Power tools, wreaths, and even outdoor decorations can be easily hung and stored for next year using pegboard and hooks. This is an easy way to keep your bows intact and the power tools in your hands reach throughout the year.
- Check the Lights. Avoid the chaos of half lit strands of lights next season by checking all the bulbs before you pack them away. Maybe you haven’t noticed with the hustle and bustle of the season when half of a strand of outdoor lights went out. By tossing them now, you’ll thank yourself when the holiday season rolls around next year.
- Vacuum Storage Bags. If you have holiday pillows, towels, bedding and even clothes, try vacuum storage bags. These keep your items clean and dry while the bags compress down almost flat for easy storage.
- Organize By Room. Instead of packing away all the decorations randomly in tubs, consider storing them by room. Put all the kitchen and dining room decorations in one box so next year decorating each room is a breeze.
- Tree Troubles. It’s so tempting to simply cover your tree or throw it in a tree bag when it’s time to take it down. However, this can actually damage and bend the branches. Use a proper tree box or storage box and take each branch off individually, flattening them as you go.
- Get Storage When You Need It. When it’s time to say goodbye to the holidays and you just don’t have enough room, give Hometown Sheds a call. We offer storage solutions for all needs, all sizes, all homes, and all businesses. From a small shed to a large building or garage, for over 10 years we’ve been helping home and business owners stay organized and protect their investments.
As you pack away the holiday season, Hometown Sheds wishes you the very best new year. We look forward to helping you in 2024 with any of your storage needs!